Thursday, October 27, 2011

Red Lipstick

So yesterday while I was in the shower getting ready for my hubby and I's date night, Gremlin #1 managed to find my red lipstick.  She had been quiet for quite some time, and the throwing of her toys into the shower with me had halted, so I had some suspicion that something fishy, and most likely naughty was going down.  Just a few short minutes later, Daddy arrives home.  I hear some shuffling, a few words being said and then silence.  I emerge from the bathroom, all dressed, and the hubby's face says it all.  Some thing's up...  I chalked it up to the house being a mess, and yes, Gremlin #1 managed to destroy my clean house in a matter of less than 10 minutes before Daddy got home.  Then I see my red lipstick down the side of the bathroom counter.  Ugh... "Bella, did you get into Momma's lipstick?"  Not a word... silence.

"Tim have you seen my red lipstick?  I think Bella got into it?" I ask.  "Yah, she got into it" he replied.  "Ugh..." I groan.  I again seclude myself to quiet of the bathroom to put my face on, and when near complete, I again question for the red lipstick.  I was going to wear it to match the red blouse I had on that evening.  Tim directs me to Bella's floor where the evidence is written all over Bella's white carpet.  The container had been confiscated awhile back, but the contents lay all over her floor.  There was no denying who did it, the proof was all over the place.

These are the lessons I've learned from this:

  NUMBER ONE!
            Red lipstick is one of the hardest stains to remove out of carpet.  Not only did I read this, but I now know first hand.  Yay, right?

NUMBER TWO!
            Using near boiling water to wash most of the lipstick out first works well and then finish scrubbing it out with 409 cleaner.  15 to 20 minutes later, and some lightly scalded hands, my carpet looks near new again.  After I experimented on the lipstick, I used the same method to clean up a small spot on our bedroom carpet, when she got into my eyeliner about six months ago.

NUMBER THREE!
            The terrible two's have arrived, and are in full force.  The result, a locked down house.  My make up is now up one drawer higher and safe until my little Dandelion grows some more.  Which we all know how Dandelions grow, pretty much over night.  And with her learning by leaps and bounds, it won't take her long to figure out how to get into the closet and grow enough to reach the higher shelves. 


These are the years to be cherished right?  :)  I kind of have to laugh when I think of it.  I enjoy our children, but I understand the concept of grandchildren much more now.  You spend the weekend with them, spoil them rotten, and send them home.  Children behave much better for their grandparents and they get their house back to normal once the kids leave.  They maybe grow a few hairs that weekend, but they will recover.  Raising children, on the other hand, is where all of the gray hair starts.  Or in my Dad's case, his seven girls gave him a head of full blown pearly white hair where he now very much resembles Gandalf the White from Lord of the Rings.  We not only made his hair grow gray, but another step further into white.  It all begins with the up all nights and poopy butts, then evolves into the red lipstick or nail polish all over your white carpet, then the sassy years where "no" and "mine" seems to be the only two words in their vocabulary, and finally concluding into the dreaded teen years with the "Mom, Dad, I need $20 bucks!" and you worry about who their kissing and what their doing when their not home.  And kissing better be all they're doing...

Gandalf the White
My Dad


















I don't think you ever stop worrying about your kids, as I know for a fact my parents and even my husband's parents worry about me and my family on a regular basis.  In fact, my parents are driving four hours to come and pick me up and drive me and the two Gremlins home with them for two weeks while the hubby is gone deer hunting.  It's not that I didn't want to drive home, because I did, but everyone was worried about me and the Gremlin's first long journey away from home.  So, we will be trekking it with Grandma and Grandpa this time.  It is a sigh of relief for me, to not have to drive, but serves well for proving my point.  You never stop worrying, even as your children grow up.  BUT, you get enjoy your grandchildren in a different way entirely than you did raising your own children.  With that said, I hope to get a few grandchildren of my own some day.  Hopefully not in the next 20 years, but someday.  Until then, I am just going to focus on getting us all out on the other end of childhood years and teenage hormones alive.

1 comment:

Lisa Oswald said...

The red lipstick thing sounds like a total fiasco... but it made for an interesting read :)