Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Big Sister, Little Brother

It's getting later in the day and both kids are asleep, as was I just a few moments ago.  I awoke feeling good, and should have woken the little ones, but decided to enjoy this quiet moment without the Gremlins awake.  I thought I'd share some of my more intimate moments of the past two weeks.

Big Sister ~  It has been a joy and a bit of trouble having a new baby with a very interested Big Sister under the same roof.  A lot of mornings, if Landon is laying in his chair, Bella will wake up and immediately go over to give her brother lovies.  I think Bella fell in love with Landon just as fast as her Mom and Dad did.  I will never forget that day in the hospital when Grandma and Grandpa Frits brought Big Sister in to meet Little Brother.  Her eyes lit up and excitement touched her face.  "Baby!" she exclaimed!  We had spent the past three months pointing at Mommy's belly and explaining how Baby was inside Mommy's tummy.  Even a few days after, Bella would still point to my pudgy belly and say "baby", which would then lead to a little discussion about how the baby in Momma's belly was now her brother Landon.  Bella's a smart cookie, and I don't think it took her too long to figure it all out.  A once worried mother, concerned that her two babies wouldn't coexist in peace, now worries that Big Sister will strangle Little Brother with hugs and smother him with kisses.  They adapted so well, I stand hopeful and confident that they will grow up as best friends, just as I did with my next youngest sibling.  After all, that was the whole point of having them so close, so that they could grow up together, play together, and be the best of friends.

A Not So Sleepy Baby ~ Landon is a good baby, he is happy for the majority of the day.  But Bella was an excellent first baby, she slept all of the time, and when she woke up she would eat and go directly back to sleep.  And although breastfeeding was a bit of a struggle initially, she took to it in a week or so and she rarely spit up.  Landon on the other hand, likes to be awake the majority of the time and has his nights and days screwed up.  The past few days he has been staying up for about 3 hours at night, from around 1AM until after 4AM, bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to eat.  He LOVES to eat, and LOVES to nurse.  I enjoy nursing, as it provides a moment of intimacy between you and your infant child, but four hours straight of a child looking to you as their milk factory and their contentment, is hard to provide when you're so tired.  And I'm not going to say that at 4AM I am this gleeful and patient mother, because after a full day of running after the older Gremlin, when the younger Gremlin is awake at night and stealing most of my sleep and energy, I get a bit grumpy.  None-the-less I realize, after a bit more sleep does arrive, that it won't be like this forever and I WILL miss these late night pajama parties.  I can say without a doubt though, that I will NOT miss being blessed with the fountain of spew that comes after each feeding, leaving us both soaked and leaving me with a large amount of laundry at the end of each day.  I can now understand what my family was talking about when they joked that the reason for cleavage was to catch all of the puke... it makes complete and "utter" sense now.  :)

Hubby Hubby ~ Another wonderful thing about being a new mom, is the togetherness that it creates between you and your spouse.  Terrible twos and tantruming toddlers create stress between a marriage at times, as it wears your patience thin and at the end of the day you've pulled out a few hairs and magically grown a few gray ones to replace them.  Even if you and your spouse match stride for stride in your parenting skills, you can't help but rub off the grumpiness on each other at the end of the night when its been a bad day.  Having two under the age of two has been hard, but having a newborn comes with a sort of haze that lingers for a few months.  It catches the both of you up into a love nest where all you can do is sit there in contentment and smile at the little miracles you have created together.  Tim and I often sit and smile at one another, cuddling our newborn son and watching our adventurous daughter muster up some silly tactic that we both have to laugh about.  Bella has grown to be quite the character, and quite the little girl, running around with her butt wagging, blond curly hair that falls to the nape of her neck, and who can forget that mischievous grin.  Landon will have quite the play date with his Big Sister around, as she's full of the dickens.  He already watches her when she comes up close, and I am sure that I will have a double dose of trouble in no time.  But again, I love the togetherness that a newborn brings home with them when they enter this world, creating a more complete and fuller family.  I'm loving it!

What About the Healthier You? ~ Hah, I have been trying and failing quite a bit.  I find that when Landon doesn't sleep and Bella is being naughty I crave junk food like mad.  I imagine that when Landon is sleeping more on a schedule that this will get easier.  I haven't incorporated walking into my schedule yet, but I have started using my Home Management Binder each day so that I keep moving around the house.  Today at Walmart, I bought a $4 pedometer so that I can visually see how close I am to my goal of 10000 steps a day.  10000 steps is what they say an "active" person walks in a day.  My house is slowly coming together and getting more clean as I am becoming more motivated.  I am hoping with more sleep, comes more energy and the motivation to start working out.  I can't fathom doing that right now with the 6 hours or less of sleep that I am getting currently.  But I AM going to start running by the time my 6 week postpartum lazy daze is done.  I signing myself up for a 10k run at the Fargo Marathon weekend where my sister Lisa lives and today we discussed running the 1/2 marathon together in September 2012 at Lake Superior.  With providing goals like this for myself, I am hoping to muster up some motivation to getting more healthy and in shape.  Each day is a struggle to not eat junk food and to become more physically active, but I am getting there.  Eventually life will settle into a routine and such things as planning a run early in the morning will become more possible.

But with that, I am needing to come to a close.  Miss Bella is awake and crying to get out of bed.  Thanks for reading and I will post again soon!  :)


2 comments:

I'm Hannah said...

sweet post, way to stay positive! i hope things get better soon!

Mincer said...

Great post. Thanks. how to lose moobs in a week