Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gremlins on the Move


The Gremlin and Me
Today I'm tired, but I guess that's to be expected for a mother of a very independent, stubborn and energetic 1 1/2 year old as well as the fact that I am expecting miracle number two quite soon. It seems surreal to me that I will be a Mommy to another little precious baby in just 5 1/2 weeks. I brought my daughter, Bella, in today for her 18 month physical. We ended up chatting about the trials and tribulations of children that have so much spunk, attitude and free will; enough to go around that's for sure. The advice given to me, I just have to be more stubborn than her; this too shall pass, it's just a phase. I laugh at this, because I can't imagine how my mother raised 10 very stubborn and opinionated children. And from what everyone tells me, my husband, Tim, was a handful too. I guess I have my work cut out for me.

Bella at the park
But as I sit here, with Bella down for a nap finally, (two hours late) I can't help but smile and fight the urge to go in and peek at her cute little face as she sleeps. With her blue eyes closed tight and her blonde hair, curly and mismanaged all around her face, and who can forget how she sleeps, with her tush up in the air and laying on all of her limbs, tucked in a ball, just how I'd imagine her sleeping and her sibling sleeping when they were within me. So cozy, so happy, and really God-given and perfect. She's a handful, but she's mine and I wouldn't change a thing about her. Sometimes I wish I could remind myself of how I feel at this very moment when she decides she doesn't want to eat her dinner and throws it against the wall... yes, if only I could always feel like this. :)

But my children are my everything, and from a very young age I knew I wanted children. People have told me, that they could picture me a mother, and now that I'm on number two, I'm amazed at how much patience one needs to be a Mom. I have to admit, one does not think of these things when you're young, in love, (hopefully married) and so ready to share your love outside of your little bubble with just the two of you. I felt so much love with Tim, that I was ready quite soon to share that with someone else, someone we both could love without limitations or stipulations. And so it's true, that after a better part of the day behind me, with tantrums resembling seizure-like activity, thrown trays of food, sippy cups smashed to the ground for no apparent reason, incessant crying, and 23 lbs of screaming baby hanging on me while I do the dishes; it is by that special love that God instills in parents, that get them through the day and reminds them during the quiet moments just how truly special they are to you.

The little girl that even after a day full of naughtiness, makes my heart absolutely melt!  My precious Isabella Kate!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post Kate! By the way, I'm sure Mom would say that I was never stubborn and only slightly opinionated. Right, Mom? :-)

Pam