Monday, August 29, 2011

The Curiousity of a Child

An Earwig

From where I sat on the floor, it looked like a large speck of dirt on the floor. Bella, of course, entirely amazed at this find, had to pick it up. She briskly walks over to where I'm seated, her specimen held securely between her delicate little fingers and deposits her new found treasure into my hand. "Thank you!" I say to her without first looking to see what it is.

I gasp, let out a little squeak and quickly drop it. My husband, Tim, at this point is rolling on the floor with laughter. An earwig... really? They are one of the most disgusting looking creatures and I have yet to find God’s purpose for them other than covering my basement floor and eating my fruits, flowers and vegetables. I send a warning glare at Tim and look back at Bella, she's so very proud of her find. I can't help but laugh a little, if there was anything to find on my floor (which there tends to be plenty of), she'll surely find it. There is not one part of this house left unturned or undiscovered in the eyes of Bella. This world is truly her playground and it is ever growing for her.  Later on that week, she gifted her Grandma Frits with a worm (I think), that she had found.  At least she's a giving little girl, never to keep things to or for herself!

Grandma Stangler, Bella and I sat outside of the house this evening, pushing her in the new swing Grandma had spoiled her with. We had hung it in this huge oak tree in the front of our lawn. It’s the perfect spot for a swing with it's huge branches ever spreading and giving ample shade to its visitors. We were enjoying the evening breeze that comes as the day starts cooling off when we discovered this beautiful, yet scary looking creature. Bella, who is always watching, constantly learning and absorbing, quickly discovers what all of the commotion is about.

From her perfect view up high in her chair, she intently points at the creature making it's way up the tree. It was the biggest caterpillar that any of us had ever seen. Measuring a good 3” to 4" and about as round as my pointer finger, it's shear size amazed us. Neon green and quite beautiful, it was no wonder why Bella starts oooing and ahhhing. As my mother and I discuss the possibilities, she starts waving and starting a conversation with the creature, saying "hi", "bye" and just about any other word she knows. While the rest of us were reluctant to get any closer than we needed to, she was determined about getting a closer view.  So Grandma was brave and held her up closer to the trunk of the tree, since her Momma is a big chicken.


I am forever being reminded that this little girl of mine is new to pretty much everything in the world that I have grown accustomed to.  Each bright light, picture, creature and moving thing is new to her.  It's exciting to watch her discover all of the things this world has to offer one little toddler step at a time.  It's unfortunate we loose some of that intense curiosity as we grow older, but raising Bella and spending each day with her is making me appreciate all of those little things a little more, earwigs and all.  For there was once a time in my life, I'm sure, that I was delivering such gifts, and my Mother was the happy recipient. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You said a very true statement in this blog...I've never seen such a giving little lady. She is so insistent that everyone have a toy to hold...or a bug in this case. You have a wonderful little girl, Kate! *Mary